Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Week 1 PRE-TOUR OF EUROPE (Better late than never)

Hello from London!!

I know this is long overdue, but I have been trying to adjust to my new lifestyle in London and haven’t had time to sit down and write about Week 1, so here it is.

Last week was Week 1 also what I like to call the “Pre-Tour of Europe.” As soon as I arrived in Paris, my first instinct was to buy a Nutella crepe (thank GOD the Crepe stand was across the street from my hotel…or what else would I have had for dinner?) and who would have thought that Nutella crepes would be my staple the two nights I stayed in Paris? Paris was exactly how I pictured it would be-so beautiful and romantic! Each direction I looked there was something new to see.  In one direction, I could see locals catching up with friends while drinking wine along the canal; on the other side, I saw couples riding bikes with Baguettes in their baskets-I know, it sounds cheesy. My eyes were in a trance, but surely my sense of smell was not. Yes, the rumor is true, Paris smells…atrocious…like urine more than anything else. What is the reasoning? Some Parisians think it’s appropriate to pee on the streets. Something even more magical than the liberating feeling of urinating on the streets of Paris is the Eiffel Tower. It was the highlight of my short trip to Paris, the Eiffel Tower is dazzling; every first 5 minutes starting at 8pm the Tower will light up. Along with visiting the Eiffel Tower, some of the other highlights of my time in Paris were: the Notre Dame Cathedral, Love Lock Bridge, a Boat cruise along the River Seine, and the Louvre where I had a chance to take a selfie with the Mona Lisa. 
Dancing in front of the Eiffel Tower
Selfie with the Mona Lisa














After my short stay in Paris, I traveled to a little town in Belgium called Bruges. Bruges was my favorite part of the Pre-Tour, it is a peaceful, quaint medieval city-much different from Paris. Bruges is known for their historical brick buildings, cobblestone roads, delicate lace, and delicate chocolates. While in Bruges, I window shopped, went on a boat tour through the canals, a Brewery tour, and found time to relax. As you all probably already know, I love talking about what I ate, food, fine dining etc.  SO, in Bruges, I sampled Belgium beer, a savory Belgium waffle with chocolate sauce and banana toppings, and a dish called “Frieten met Stoverij.”Frieten met Stoverij reminded me of my mom’s beef stew on top of french fries.  Bruges is a place where I hope to retire someday with my future, Flemish husband. 

I highly recommend Frieten met Stoverij!
Took a picture with a nun riding a bicycle...BEST PHOTO EVER!!














The last stop of the Pre-Tour was Brussels just a hour and half drive from Bruges. Brussels is a cosmopolitan city filled with a wide range of street art. For the day I was in Brussels, I went on a yummy Chocolate tour and a walking tour through the city. While walking through the city, Brussels reminded me of New York-dirty and filled with culture. In my opinion, Brussels isn’t the most comfortable and luxurious place to spend your vacation, but still an adventure!

Belgium chocolate child. 
Street art in Brussels. 













And then, I ARRIVED IN LONDON!! An update on my first week in London will be coming very shortly! I can’t wait to share how my first week of school went, what my home stay family is like, and all about my new home. Love you all!! Also, check out more photos of my trip on Facebook!

Xoxo,


Mon 

No comments:

Post a Comment