Wednesday, September 17, 2014

London Living

Hey, Mates!

I have finally settled into the rhythm of what I like to call “London Living.” Never did I imagine that London was filled with so many kind and diverse people. Throughout this week, there were many highs followed by many lows (adjusting to public transportation). One of my highs this week was meeting and interacting with my home stay family. 

Even though I met my home stay family merely a week ago, I feel like a member of their family. My “parents” aren’t like normal parents-they have really cool jobs! Carroll, my “Mum,” is a musician and has her own recording studio in her backyard. Actually, the entire neighborhood is filled with musicians and sometimes when my roommate (Jay) and I are walking home from school, we can hear our neighbors playing the violin or the piano-we are so lucky! Dotun, my “Dad,” is a book publisher as well as a radio talk show host for BBC. Yesterday night, he took Jay and I to the BBC studio and gave us a tour. The family I am living with is quite big and always on the move. Carroll and Dotun have three children; the oldest is in his late twenties and he lives in the house with his expecting girlfriend, Flo, so in less than a month we will have a baby in the house! Carroll and Dotun also have two daughters Temi 16 and Lewa 13. Temi and Lewa go to an all girls school and are very musically talented. They play the Cello and the piano. The house Jay and I are living is very spacious, so the family has enough room to also host their Great Aunt from Nigeria and their Grandma from Jamaica. The first night that Jay and I arrived, the family took us out for a classic Fish and Chips dinner, was it yummy? Let’s just say I enjoyed the chips more than the fish. The entire family has been so supportive and welcoming. For instance, I bought raw chicken the other day, but didn’t know how to cook it, so Flo showed me how to bake the chicken and make a nice meal for myself. And Mum always asks us how our day was, and to clean our room-just like any mom would. I am so thankful that I don’t feel like a stranger in their home, but a member of their family! Oh! And they have a trampoline!!! Weeeee!

Even though I am so blessed and excited to be in London, I do miss home a lot and have come to appreciate it so much over the past week. Never have I been away for such a long time, but I keeping thinking, “if I feel uncomfortable, I am growing.” That has been my mantra this past week and I hope to continue to learn and step outside my comfort zone. 

Also, when I am homesick, I try to look forward to different activities. For instance, this week I am going to Stratford-Upon Avon (birthplace of William Shakespeare), House of Parliament, and Buckingham Palace (I’ll be sure to keep an eye out for pics with the Queen ;))

Xoxo,


Mon
Made Chicken and veggies with Flo!

View outside my window. 

Walking to school is always an adventure!!

1 comment:

  1. What a blessing! Do continue to share your adventures! So happy for you Monica! Stay safe and keep making memories! <3

    ReplyDelete